Junior High Recruitment
Dear Jr. High Band Parent and Student:
Entering high school is a giant step forward in every child’s educational journey. Your student is facing some important decisions that will have a long-term impact on their life. Often, young people fear the added workload of the high school’s curriculum and assume they will not have time to participate in the music program. That is simply not true. Ironically, it is often the continuation of musical studies that serves as the traditional key to success. Being a member of a music ensemble ensures instant acceptance in a respected organization at the onset of freshman year. A group of supporting friends is already established with a firm sense of “belonging”.
There’s more to it. As a parent, you need to know that:
- Research shows that when music is included in a student’s daily learning that reading, writing and math scores improve.
- There is a high correlation between positive self-perception, high cognitive competence scores, healthy self-esteem, total interest in school activities and the study of music.
- College admissions offices give special consideration to students who are apart of high school music programs. Not to mention the scholarship benefits.
- The longer an individual studies music, the higher their scores tend to be on both verbal and math portions of the SAT and ACT exams.
- Employers often seek out students who are apart of their high school music program because of the student’s ability to solve problems and work well with all kinds of people.
Your child deserves the best as they enter the high school culture. Please contact our office if you have any questions concerning this vitally important decision. We join you in your commitment to the best education possible for your student. We hope you and your student choose to continue participating in our program.
McComb Band Staff